Household Toxins

As we are approaching the holiday season, we wanted to discuss some common household toxins that are harmful to your furry friends.

Our pets are not just smaller versions of people, animals react to medications and food differently than we do. Most pets are very curious and don’t understand the repercussions of their consumption choices. If something smells good, looks tasty, fits into their mouth they don’t know any better and will try to consume it. Just because something we eat doesn’t make us sick, doesn’t mean that it won’t make pets sick or even cause death in our furry friends.

Please be cautious to what your furry family members have access to during this time. There are many other fun ways to involve your furry friends in the holiday season that aren’t going to lead to costly medical bills.

Here is a list of some common household/holiday toxins to watch out for this time of year.

  • Chocolate Marijuana
  • Xylitol (gum, candy, some peanut butter, etc.)
  • Alcohol
  • Garlic Coffee
  • Yeast dough Lilies
  • Onions Mistletoe
  • Avocados Hollies
  • Macadamia nuts Poinsettias

If you think your pet has ingested any of the above listed products or have any other concerns please call one of the following numbers.

High Plains Veterinary Hospital

(719)-574-8920
M-F 7:30am-6:30pm
Sat 9am-12pm

Powers Pet Emergency

(719) 473-0482
24 Hour Emergency Care

24/7 Animal Poison Control Center

855-764-7661
$59USD per incident fee applies

Font Resize
Contrast
Call Us Text Us