We Care For The Pets You Love

Call Us for an Appointment
High Plains Veterinary Hospital works with companion animal owners to increase the longevity of their pets with superior veterinary medicine, that includes advanced technology and diagnostics.  All of our staff members will apply that medical care in a compassionate and respectful manner. To improve the quality of life of our patients, we will strive to teach owners our knowledge of preventative medicine.


At High Plains Colorado Springs Veterinary Hospital/Clinic we provide high quality veterinary care for your pets. Our top rated Colorado Springs veterinarians offer internal medicine, surgery, dental care, wellness, and senior/geriatric care for dogs and cats. We look forward to working with you to provide the best care possible for your family members.  

Call Us
For after hours emergencies call: 
Powers Pet Emergency 719-473-0482 
Animal Emergency Care North 719-260-7141

Clinic Info

Mon - Fri
4007 Tutt Blvd 
Colorado Springs,  CO 80922
Phone: (719) 574-8920
Fax: (719) 574-8936
Email: petdocs@highplainsvet.com
Contact Us

Our Services

The Latest News and Advice from High Plains Veterinary Hospital

By Karen Frank 07 Dec, 2017

As the holidays are rapidly approaching, so are many puppies and kitties. Have you ever considered the gift of pet insurance for your furry friends? The cost of a new furry friend can become rather overwhelming and can cause some additional anxiety. Pet insurance can help in offsetting some of the added stress and some or most of the costs of diagnosing, treating and managing your pet's illness or injury.


Pet insurance isn't for everyone, so you should consider all your options by researching which is best for you and your pet. Listed below is a link to the best pet insurance companies from 2017.


By Karen Frank 30 Nov, 2017
Is your fur baby unique? Please let us know for the next patient of the month.
By Karen Frank 16 Nov, 2017

​AVMA’s Thanksgiving tips for pet owners


(SCHAUMBURG, Ill.) November 14, 2013—The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) provides top tips that will leave pet owners thankful they don’t have to make a trip to the animal “ER” this holiday season.

“This is the time of year that many veterinary hospitals report a significant increase in emergency calls particularly those relating to digestive tract disturbances resulting from exposure to foods pets simply should not have received.” says Dr. Clark K. Fobian, president of the AVMA. “Thanksgiving is a special holiday that brings together family and friends, but it is also one that can carry some hazards for our pets. Overindulging in the family feast can be unhealthy for humans, but fatty and bony table scraps, like the turkey neck or skin or other dietary indiscretions can lead to severe and sometimes even deadly digestive track conditions.”

AVMA resources, alerts, and information for Thanksgiving:

The AVMA’s top tips for keeping pets healthy on Thanksgiving are:

  •  Keep the Thanksgiving feast on the table—not under it. Table scraps may seem like a fun way to include your pet in the holiday, but there are a number of hazards to feeding your pets from your plate. Many foods healthy for you are poisonous to pets, including onions, garlic, raisins and grapes. There are many healthy treats available for dogs and cats, so don’t feed them table scraps. Instead, make or buy a treat that is made just for them. Make sure the pet treat is not a part of any ongoing recall.
  • Put the trash away where your pets can’t find it. A turkey carcass sitting out on the carving table or left in an open trash container or one that’s easily opened could prove deadly if the family pet eats it. What your pet thinks is a tasty treat can cause a condition called pancreatitis, which is extremely dangerous and can cause death fairly quickly. Dispose of turkey carcasses in a covered, tightly secured container (or a trash can behind a closed, locked door) along with anything used to wrap or tie the meat and any bones left on plates.
  • No pie or other desserts for your pooch. It can’t be said often enough, chocolate is poisonous to pets, and the darker it is the more deadly it is. It’s an important reminder, because many dogs find it tempting, and will sniff it out and eat it if they find it, including extremely dangerous baker’s chocolate. Also, an artificial sweetener called Xylitol has also been shown to be deadly if consumed by dogs. Xylitol is a common sweetener used in baked goods and chewing gums.
  •  Quick action can save lives. If you believe your pet has been poisoned or eaten something it shouldn’t have, call your veterinarian or local veterinary emergency clinic immediately.
  • Visitors can upset your pets. Some pets are shy or excitable around new people, and Thanksgiving often means many new people will be visiting. If you know your dog or cat is overwhelmed when people visit your home, put them in another room or a crate with a favorite toy. If your pet is particularly upset by houseguests, talk to your veterinarian about possible solutions to this common problem.
  • ● Watch the exits. If your pets are comfortable around guests, make sure you watch them closely, especially when your guests are entering or leaving your home. While you’re welcoming hungry guests and collecting coats, a four-legged family member may make a break for it out the door and become lost. It’s also a good idea to make sure your pet has proper identification, particularly microchip identification with up-to-date, registered information, so that if they do sneak out, they’ll be returned to you.
  • Watch your pets around festive decorations. Special holiday displays or candles are attractive to pets as well as people. Never leave a pet alone in an area with a lit candle; it could result in a fire. Don’t forget that some flowers and festive plants can be hazardous if swallowed by your pet. Pine cones and needles can cause an intestinal blockage or even perforate the animal’s intestine.

# # #

The AVMA, founded in 1863, is one of the oldest and largest veterinary medical organizations in the world, with more than 89,000 member veterinarians worldwide engaged in a wide variety of professional activities and dedicated to the art and science of veterinary medicine.
By Karen Frank 09 Nov, 2017

As we are approaching the holiday season, we wanted to discuss some common household toxins that are harmful to your furry friends.


Our pets are not just smaller versions of people, animals react to medications and food differently than we do. Most pets are very curious and don't understand the repercussions of their consumption choices.  If something smells good, looks tasty, fits into their mouth they don't know any better and will try to consume it. Just because something we eat doesn't make us sick, doesn't mean that it won't make pets sick or even cause death in our furry friends. 

Please be cautious to what your furry family members have access to during this time. There are many other fun ways to involve your furry friends in the holiday season that aren't going to lead to costly medical bills.


Here is a list of some common household/holiday toxins to watch out for this time of year.


Chocolate                                                                                                                                 Marijuana

Xylitol (gum, candy, some peanut butter, etc.)                                                        Alcohol    

Garlic                                                                                                                                          Coffee

Yeast dough                                                                                                                             Lilies

Onions                                                                                                                                       Mistletoe

Avocados                                                                                                                                  Hollies

Macadamia nuts                                                                                                                   Poinsettias



If you think your pet has ingested any of the above listed products or have any other concerns please call one of the following numbers.


High Plains Veterinary Hospital



M-F 7:30am-6:30pm

Sat 9am-12pm

Powers Pet Emergency

(719) 473-0482

24 Hour Emergency Care

24/7 Animal Poison Control Center


$59USD per incident fee applies



More Posts
Share by: